About the Position: Serves as an Accountant for a multiple and complex managerial accounting and reporting system. This position is subject to the NH-02 Non-Supervisory Journey Professional control point of the CECOM Control Point Policy.
Learn more about this agency
- Study, analyze and interpret statutory, regulatory and procedural directives pertaining to the overall accounting program and the financial management policies and practices.
- Develop internal operating procedures that provide effective implementation of program/financial accounting and reporting.
- Participate in the development, design and implementation of integrated financial program accounting and reporting systems.
- Access resource management and accounting systems including GFEBS, LMP, GCSS-A, WAWF, EDA and WebFLIS to manage the reimbursable program, conduct reconciliation and assess audit readiness.
- Identify which operating policies and procedures or systems should be established or revised.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires Acquisition Certification Level II in Career Field BUSINESS – FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT (BUS-FM) within 24 months.
- This position requires DoD Financial Management Level 2 certification within 24 months of appointment.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Secret Security Clearance.
- This position requires Temporary Duty or Business Travel 10% of the time.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
- Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .
Basic Requirement for Accountant:
A. Degree: Bachelor’s degree (or higher degree) in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Must include at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant’s background must also include one of the following:
(1) Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
(2) A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination;
(3) Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; AND (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; AND (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant’s education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as performing duties that include: 1) Operating or inspecting accounting systems; 2) Advising or assisting management on accounting and financial management matters; 3) Implementing or assessing internal control processes in accordance with accounting laws, regulations, policies and procedures; and 4) Analyzing financial transactions for accuracy and regulatory compliance. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (NH-01/GS-04).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Accounting Analysis
- Financial Stewardship
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 11 – Comptroller position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- You will be required to undergo a background investigation leading to the successful adjudication of eligibility for Secret security clearance. Derogatory information developed during the background investigation, such as a criminal history or an adverse credit history, could render the selectee ineligible for both the security clearance and continued employment in the position, if already appointed.
- THIS IS A FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT Level 2 Certified position designated as such in accordance with the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2012, Public Law 112-81, Subtitle F-Financial Management, section 1051, amending 10 United States Code, section 1599d. Incumbent of this position is required to comply with all Department of Defense and Department of the Army requirements of this certification program. This certification requirement is a condition of employment for this position. Failure to obtain this certification within the required time may subject the incumbent to adverse action.
- This position is an Army Acquisition, Logistics and Technology Workforce position. Selectees must meet position requirements for certification at Level 2 in Acquisition Career Field Business Financial Management within 24 months for entrance on duty.
- Telework Eligibility Statement: This position may be eligible for situational Telework, including emergency and OPM prescribed unscheduled Telework. Supervisor approval will be required on a case-by-case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility .
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Proof of Eligibility to Apply: Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The Proof of Eligibility document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.