Truck driving has now become a lucrative industry with a future-proof nature. Although it is a tough job, which includes considerable risks and long hours of operations, most people count on it as the right career option. But it is impossible to drive a heavy rigid vehicle like a truck without the right training, even if you are driving for years. So, before you work as a professional truck driver, you should get an HR truck license in Sydney after completing comprehensive training.
Driving HR vehicles or trucks may seem to be an intimidating prospect, but it is a highly rewarding career option.
So, here are some of the perks of upgrading your license to an HR license:
- HR drivers can earn good money and the scope to travel across Australia, mainly if they join established transport companies.
- The drivers with HR license have high demands in the transport industry as this a highly valued skill
- This is a comparatively future-proof career as the truck drivers would enjoy high demand also in the future.
- HR truck driving offers flexible working hours to people, so this is the perfect career choice for people, who do not like working on a monotonous, fixed schedule.
Go through this article, to learn more about getting HR truck licenses.
What is the HR license?
The HR license is the necessary accreditation for driving a truck or bus with more than 8-ton GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass and 3 or more axles. There are mainly two types of HR truck license that you can obtain.
- Unrestricted heavy rigid license: This license allows one to drive HR vehicles with a road ranger or crash gearbox that needs double clutching for changing gears and matching engine revs to the road speed. But the gearbox is very challenging for the new drivers, but getting this license makes it easier.
- Condition B heavy rigid license: This HR truck license in Sydney allows one to drive vehicles with Synchromesh HR and automatic HR. So, this is the easier heavy vehicle license to get for those, who do not want to drive crash gearboxes.
How to prepare yourself for getting an HR license?
To get the HR license, you need to meet some eligibility criteria. These are:
- You must hold a Class C car license before applying for the HR truck license in either a probationary, provisional or open capacity for a minimum of two years.
- You must pass an on-road practical test
- In case you are upgrading from a car license, then you must pass the RMS written knowledge test. It is not important if you presently hold an MR or HR license.
- You must pass the eyesight test.
- In case you are planning to use the HR license for driving buses, then you should also get the driver’s authorization.
- In case your present driving license includes any medical condition, then you would need a medical certificate for the new class of truck license in Sydney.